FOR THE LOVE OF CHOCOLATE!
Its HumpDay guys! And boy do I have something decadent for you.
Okay, most know that I have had a secret love affair for many years. But the secret is out and I am not ashamed to say, I L O VE CHOCOLATE! It should come then as no surprise that chocolate is apart of my daily life like breathing. In some shape, fashion or form, this cocoa goodness makes an appearance.
So instead of just a cup of hot chocolate today, I decided to share the love with my in-laws during “Nachtisch” (German for dessert after dinner). Come on, who doesn’t love chocolate?
I have tried a few recipes and as you guess, some were no so great. The thing is, when using different textures of chocolate in a cake, you have to make sure the right ingredients in the correct amounts work well together for the particular outcome you want to achieve. Not all products work together.
But I think I have found the perfect combination and have been using this recipe ever since. This is the most moist, flavorful chocolate cake you will ever make.
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs (room temp)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil**
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coffee (strong)*
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (melted)
Chocolate Ganache (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans and set aside.
- In the microwave, melt half of the chocolate 45 seconds to 1 minute (microwaves vary in temperature), remove from microwave, add the remaining half of chocolate and blend until melted. Set Aside to cool.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, then pour in remaining liquid ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute then add melted chocolate and beat for another two minutes; the batter will become thin.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for square and rectangular pans or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan and place on cooling rack for another 10 minutes
- For the chocolate frosting, I found a very quick and easy buttercream frosting by Savory Sweet Life that I used Chocolate Buttercream Frosting .
- For the ganache, chop chocolate in to pieces and place in a medium bowl. In a sauce pan, heat milk in a sauce pan, bring to a boiling. Add milk to the chocolate. Allow to set for 5 minutes before stirring. Decorate and design with chocolate as you choose. I used a spoon to drizzle the ganache.
- Coffee is optional. You can use water in its place if so desired *
- You can use vegetable oil **
This truly is sinfully delicious. Just one slice will not be enough.