The secret is definitely in the sauce! This unbelievably creamy tomato basil goodness will leaving you wanting more. The combination of fresh and sun-dried tomatoes is perfect. Did I mention that I love sun-dried tomatoes. No? Okay then, I love sun dried tomatoes. It gives everything that extra kick of flavor. Once you have tried this recipe, you will pass up on the usual Alfredo Sauce. This sauce has depth and a heartiness about it.
Although making pasta from scratch is a stress relieving process for me and maybe even for you, I decided to ditch the messy floured counter top and opted to use store bought cappelletti. This recipe works with any type of stuffed pasta actually, ravioli, tortelloni, mezzelune; you get the picture. The stuffing is totally up to you.
I really enjoyed making this. Mostly the sauce tasting. Definitely the sauce tasting! Hope you like it as much as I do.
What you will need:
- 1 package cappelletti*
- 2 large over ripe tomato, minced**
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 ½ Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk, room temp
- ¾ cup heavy cream, room temp
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese + for topping
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped + for garnish
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional)
What to do:
- In a medium pot bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add cappelletti to water and reduce to a medium low boil. Follow the instruction on the package for cooking. Drain pasta, lightly coat with olive oil to avoid sticking together. Set Aside
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter, add garlic and sauté for a few seconds. Then whisk in flour until smooth and free of bumps. Slowly mix in milk and heavy cream, whisking again until smooth. Add in minced tomatoes. Using an immersion blender, slightly blend the tomatoes in the cream mixture. Stir in cheese and sun-dried tomatoes until free of lumps. Continue cooking on low until cheese is fully melted. Now season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. If the sauce is a bit thick, add milk until it reaching the consistency you desire.
- Toss in the cooked cappelletti, and evenly coat pasta. Add in some of the chopped basil and toss.
- Garnish with remaining basil and serve.
- *You can choose any stuff pasta for this recipe.
- **Using can tomatoes is okay. It saves you time and no need for the immersion blender.