I’ve never been much of a breakfast person. But these days I can use all the energy I can get and as quickly as possible. With a young baby in one arm and your hunger in the other, there is just not enough time to prepare a full on, sit at the table and relax breakfast.
So here is an easy Tomato and basil pastry that is both quick and satisfying. Bought Puff pastry makes everything so much easier. As much as I love making my own, it requires both hands which I can’t spare these days.
Here we go.
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- ½ cup goat cheese (thinly sliced) or shredded mozzarella
- 2 Romaine medium-sized tomato, sliced
- 3-5 large basil leaves, roughly chopped, more if desired
- 1 large egg , beaten
- Pinch of salt ( optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut it into 6 even pieces.
- Lay the goat cheese down the center diagonally on each pastry square.
- Add the sliced tomatoes followed by the basil pieces.
- Fold corners of the pastry squares to the center.
- Brush the pastries with the beaten egg
- Bake the pastries on middle rack for 10-15 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown
- Serve the tomato basil pastries warm.
You can sprinkle the salt after the egg wash. But this time I opted out. I’ watching my cholesterol 😉
Easy as 1, 2, 3.